Generating a new ubuntu-keyring .deb to sign CD

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 30 18:57:02 UTC 2018

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 06:25:55PM +0000, Nicholas Bayle via ubuntu-users wrote:
> When trying to generate a new ubuntu-keyring, I keep running into this
> issue:
> dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -m"Name <email>" -kA5E86765
> dpkg-buildpackage: source package ubuntu-keyring
> dpkg-buildpackage: source version 2012.05.19-1
[...]
> dpkg-source: info: building ubuntu-keyring using existing
> ./ubuntu-keyring_2012.05.19.orig.tar.gz
> dpkg-source: error: cannot represent change to
> keyrings/ubuntu-archive-keyring.gpg: binary file contents changed
> dpkg-source: error: add keyrings/ubuntu-archive-keyring.gpg in
> debian/source/include-binaries if you want to store the modified binary in
> the debian tarball

The simplest fix is to change the versioning scheme you're using.
Instead of versioning your package as 2012.05.19-1, you should use
2012.05.19+nbayle1 (or similar; use any identifier you like in place of
"nbayle").

The presence of a "-" in the version causes dpkg to interpret the part
before the "-" as the upstream version and the part after it as the
packaging revision.  This isn't really what you want here, as the thing
you're starting from has already been packaged; you're just modifying
it, and it's not in your interests for that modification to cause a
fundamental change in the type of source package being created.
Avoiding the "-" avoids this problem.

(I think you may also have created debian/source/format.  If so, you
should remove it again, with the same rationale as above.)