Run tracker reset without display - dbus error

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 08:40:31 UTC 2018

On 21 April 2018 at 22:55, Tony Arnold <tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:

> Colin,
>
> I presume you have googled this? Googling 'd-bus without x11' returns a
> number of suggestions.

Thanks Tony, yes I had googled something similar but the posts I found
seemed to be bug reports rather than more general posts.  However I deduced
from your suggestion that there must be some nuggets of useful information
there so looked in more detail and did find the suggested workaround of
preceding the command with

if test -z "$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS" ; then
  eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax`
fi

However I then intermittently got an error that it could not write to the
file ~/.cache/dbus/user which I worked around by changing the ownership on
that file to myself (from root).  Whether that situation will re-occur I
don't know, the bug reports I followed about that issue did not obviously
come to any conclusion as far as I can see.  However for the moment I am up
and running.

Thanks again

Colin