wrong icon

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 19:57:08 UTC 2018

On 5 April 2018 at 18:44, rikona <rikona at sonic.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Apr 2018 06:08:43 +0000
> Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 5 Apr 2018, 06:55 rikona, <rikona at sonic.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Running 16.04 fully updated. A while back I had a problem where
> > > programs would "disappear" when minimized. At that time I got a
> > > number of good suggestions and workarounds on this list that made
> > > it mostly work correctly. Thank you all again. Since then I have
> > > seen something else that made it look like they disappeared. What
> > > happens is that, when minimized, they are associated with an icon
> > > on the left vertical column that has NO RELATIONSHIP to the running
> > > program. The small white triangle does appear on that icon, and
> > > when clicked brings back the minimized program. Program A always
> > > goes to the same unrelated icon Z - it is not random.
> > >

> > Generally that would be a bug in that program. I suggest reporting it
> > using ubuntu-bug package-name.
>
> Thanks for the reply. It doesn't seem like a program bug, and I'll give
> a specific example which might help to define the problem a bit better.
> As is often the case, the devil is in the details. :-) Let's say I want
> to open Konqueror and type the letter K in the Dash. The correct icon
> for Konqueror does appear and if I click on that icon it launches the
> program. Also, if I put the correct Konqueror icon on the desktop and
> click on that it also launches the program. When I minimize the
> Konqueror program, though, it goes to the Treeline icon in the vertical
> launcher bar. A small white triangle appears on that icon, and a right
> mouse click on the Treeline icon shows the running instances of the
> Konqueror program. Things are functionally correct except the icon is
> incorrect. This launcher bar behavior survives reboots, updates and
> other changes - somehow, in the launcher bar, Konqueror always appears
> as a Treeline icon when minimized. I have a lot of icons in the
> launcher bar and didn't spot this behavior for some time, and it was
> one of the ways that I thought programs "disappeared" when they were
> minimized. Now, since I know about it, I just go way down to the
> Treeline icon [it is far down because I don't use that program often]
> to restore Konqueror. Not a big problem but it would be nice if the
> association was correct.

You didn't make it clear whether it misbehaves if you start it from
the Dash.  If it does then why mention the operation when launched
from an icon on the desktop.

Is this 16.04 running Unity?

Can you provide a list of the programs you have noticed it on? Is
there anything obvious in common between them?

Colin