virtualbox guest additions problem, ububtu-17.04

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Thu Sep 14 07:20:24 UTC 2017

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 21:50:42 -0600, Stuart McGraw wrote:
>I am installing Ubuntu-17.04 as a VirtualBox guest and need to install
>the VirtualBox guest additions.
>
>The instructions I've seen on the internet are all over
>the place in terms of what needs to be done.
>
>There are a bunch of virtualbox* packages in the Ubuntu
>repository and its not clear which if any I need to
>install.

Hi,

you should mention the host.

>(FWIW, on do-it-yourself, techie, complicated Arch
>Linux this was trivial.)

Is Arch the host?

If so (even if not ;), consider to install the Oracle branded non-OSE
version. I dropped the Arch OSE package a long time ago and got rid of
recurring issues.

I'm using the tarball from AUR,
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/virtualbox-bin/ is an orphan, but
5.1.26 is still the current version.

For anything else virtualbox related I don't use virtualbox packages.
I'm only using dkms to build the kernel modules.

FWIW at the moment I'm only using Windows 7 as virtrualbox guest, and
run Ubuntu 16.04 without GUI in a systemd-nspawn container on my Arch
host.

On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 19:06:40 -0600, Stuart McGraw wrote:
>Solution for me was

I suspect the solution for you still _is_ what you described, but the
next upgrade of your host or guest easily will change it to _was_. In
my experiences the open source edition is a PITA.

Regards,
Ralf