Gnome is looping on me!

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Fri Sep 8 22:54:22 UTC 2017

On Fri, 08 Sep 2017 15:13:37 -0400, s_s_shahin at fastmail.fm wrote:
>[snip] following a script I came across somewhere [snip]
>The attempt ended by being offered the log on screen again.
>This thing repeats and I do not get in.
>
>What are my options, tools?

Hi,

in principle troubleshooting is possible by e.g. taking a look at the
display manager related log files, but instead of providing you help how
to troubleshoot, it's advisable that you first of all provide
information from where you got the script, what script you got and what
exactly you did when following the script. If you followed dubious
advices from "somewhere", at worst with root privileges, the issue
under the hood could be a disaster. Fixing the recognized issue could
be dangerous. You might become able to log in again and to use
everything without noticeable issues, but under the hood your computer
might be used for something criminal.

Regards,
Ralf