[Resolved] Re: Upgrade to 17.04 gnome-flashback issue

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Tue Oct 31 17:09:44 UTC 2017

On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 17:55:44 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 16:47:04 -0700, NoOp wrote:
>>1. The issue wasn't PPA related at all
>
>What makes you thinking this...
>
>>- it was a profile issue (as
>>mentioned in my original post that the additional user I created had
>>no issues with gnome-flashback). I can't recall now what I changed,
>>but the profile started working again just fine after I deleted
>>some .cache and old tmp & other clutter (the profile has been around
>>since Hardy)
>
>...since you don't know what you have done?
>
>For instance, when running software after an upgrade, it could
>"transform" data in $HOME. Actually what you described is a pointer to
>a PPA, or partial upgrade related issue.
>
>Let's use the process of elimination. What else could be the culprit?

An example, an MUA migrates from on format to store mails to another. A
PPA provided an MUA's version that "transformed" the old format to the
new format, while an upgrade of official Ubuntu repositories from one
to another Ubuntu release, still stays with a MUA's version, that does
use the old format. Data in $HOME is much related to the used software.
"Disabling" a PPA during the upgrade cycle could solve a lot of issues,
but not all issues, caused by usage of a third party repository,
especially _not_ issue caused by data located in $HOME, since there
is no official upgrade process touching data in $HOME.