Internet is dying - diagnostics

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Mon Oct 30 02:02:50 UTC 2017

On 10/29/2017 07:47 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 29 October 2017 18:39:30 Eddie G. wrote:
>
>> Off Topic:
>>
>> Ok so I apologize for this, but it seems my repeated cries out to the
>> developer communities are just falling on deaf ears. I figured since
>> this one has some form of issue with Internet / connectivity that it
>> would fit:
>>
>> I have been using Linux for quite a while now, and I love promoting it
>> in all its variations, from Ubuntu and it's "offspring"
>> (Lubuntu...Xubuntu....Kubuntu..etc) to the flavors of CEntOS and Red
>> Hat.....(Fedora...OpenSuSE etc) I just have this to say. I have a
>> friend that lives too far away for me to assist physically and
>> in-person, and he's recently decided to try Linux,....where he lives
>> there's only a wireless connection and not a wired one. I spent the
>> better part of an afternoon and early evening trying to help him get
>> his wireless working. He tried everything, from installing the
>> b43-fwcutter installer to the Broadcom 4311 wireless drivers, and
>> everything in between. Nothing worked. Was he installing on some
>> esoteric or exotic piece of machinery? No. It was a somewhat older
>> Dell Inspiron 15 inch laptop. In the end he had no choice but to go
>> install Windows 10. I feel for him, since he's not in a place where
>> there's a lot of help. And I won't get into any more particulars about
>> that.
The Broadcom hardware is resistant to many of the Linux distros.
I speak from the experience of PCLinuxOS, which is my primary
operating system. (I avoid Windows about 99% of the time.)
While it has been possible to install Broadcom software and get it
working, it has not be easy at all.
However: I installed Mint 17-3 LTS on a Dell laptop, and I found that
the wifi worked out of the box with that distro!  So it IS possible!
I can't tell you why other distros don't follow Mint's lead. I wish that
PCLOS would. I like Mint, but I like PCLOS better.  And you don't need
Windows, 99% of the time!

--Doug