Upgrade to 17.04 gnome-flashback issue

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 15:38:44 UTC 2017

On 29 October 2017 at 02:06, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Yesterday I upgraded one of my 16.04 systems to 17.04.

Why update the current supported LTS release to an obsolete unsupported release?

> I primarily only
> run gnome-flashback (metacity) as my desktop,

If you want the legacy desktop experience, there are better choices
than GNOME. Maté is an obvious one, or Cinnamon. They are intended to
provide a start-menu-and-taskbar Windows-style desktop. GNOME Shell
isn't and bodges it.

> but also have GNOME,
> Gnome-classic and Ubuntu installed.

Do you mean Unity? Ubuntu is the OS they are all running on.

That is a complex mixture. It is less likely to upgrade cleanly and
successfully.

If you have a separate /home partition, as you should, then you'd be
better off doing a clean reinstall with Maté.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lproven at gmail.com