Upgrade to 17.04 gnome-flashback issue

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 29 01:06:28 UTC 2017

Yesterday I upgraded one of my 16.04 systems to 17.04. I primarily only
run gnome-flashback (metacity) as my desktop, but also have GNOME,
Gnome-classic and Ubuntu installed. Using lightdm I can sucessfully log
into and maintain a desktop with:

GNOME
GNOME Classic

When I log into the following, I got the desktop for about 3-4 seconds &
then blank screen with flashing cursor:

GNOME-Flashback (Compiz)
GNOME-Flashback (Metacity)
GNOME on Wayland

I can Ctrl-Alt|F1 and log in without issue.

I installed gdm3 and set the greeter login to gdm instead of lightdm and
can now login w/o issue to GNOME on Wayland, GNOME, GNOME Classic.

I Created another user for testing, and that user can login, load and use:
GNOME
GNOME Classic
GNOME-Flashback (Compiz)
GNOME-Flashback (Metacity)
GNOME on Wayland
so the issue must be in my regular profile. Any suggestions on what I
should remove/add/check in my regular profile to get gnome-flashback
working again?

Note: all packages are updated, and the issue occured with or without
ppa's enabled.