Internet is dying - or is it..?

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 07:30:29 UTC 2017

On 26 October 2017 at 08:04, Xen <list at xenhideout.nl> wrote:
> Colin Law schreef op 25-10-2017 15:07:
>>
>> On 25 October 2017 at 12:33, Volker Wysk <post at volker-wysk.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> My internet outages are back again. All that I've done is, to remove the
>>> laptop from the router, in the morning. I haven't touched my desktop's
>>> internet connection, which is over the old cable, like it was to begin with.
>

> I missed that message but if the desktop connection behaves differently as
> soon as the laptop is connected that is indeed a sign that the router is at
> fault.

If that is repeatable then I would agree. Consider though the
possibility of a dodgy connection in the desktop ethernet cable. The
act of unplugging the other cable, could easily affect the dodgy
connection in that one. You are right about PCs being extremely
reliable, but so are routers. The symptoms still suggest an
intermittent connection to me, unless it is found that having both PCs
plugged in consistently affects the fault.

> I mean generally I do not think computers and laptops fail.

Neither do routers. I can only remember one instance of a router
failure, and that was caused by a nearby lightning strike.

Colin