partition issues

Gary J. Kirkpatrick garyartista at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 15:56:54 UTC 2017

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 6:53 PM, Ken D'Ambrosio <ken at jots.org> wrote:

> Colin's heart is in the right place, but he forgot an important detail:
>>> sda6
>>> and sda5 are extended partitions that reside, in turn, on sda2.  So you
>>> can
>>> resize (presumably; I'm not sure I've ever tried this) sda6, but then
>>> you'll
>>> need to move sda5 to the rightward boundary, and THEN you'll need to
>>> resize
>>> sda2, too.
>>>

>> I don't think I forgot anything. According to the information above
>> sda5 is already at the top (or right) of sda2 so cannot be moved.
>> after removing sda6 then sda5 can be shrunk (upwards from the bottom)
>> so there is no space at the front of sda5. The free space will then be
>> between sda1 and sda2 so sda1 can be extended.
>>

> My apologies; I mis-read your post.  (Though sda5 might -- depending on
> the exact location -- have still needed moving before re-sizing sda2.)
> Fortunately, however, it's all now mooted. ;-)
>
> -Ken

Does not seem there are problems here but just in case, here is what is
there:

#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=01c13ea8-aa78-460f-8067-c3d154252fef /               ext4
errors=remount-ro 0       1
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=968b13e5-f73d-49b7-b125-2b14b62fd1a0 none            swap    sw
      0       0

garyk