partition issues

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Wed Oct 25 10:00:09 UTC 2017

On 2017-10-25 05:12, Colin Law wrote:
> On 25 October 2017 at 09:12, Gary J. Kirkpatrick
> <garyartista at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am trying to expand into sda6.  I want o eventually join sda6 and
>> sda1 to
>> get the most space.  Of course I can use sda6 now by mounting it and
>> then
>> storing to it.  Not a huge problem but we should be able to remove
>> those
>> itty bitty unallocated areas.
>>

>> Partition     File System   Size         Used        Unused
>>
>> sda 1            ext 4            84 gig       75          9
>> sda2             extended     27 gig      -              -
>>   unallocated                      6.5 mb
>>   sda6            ext4            17.75 g  457 mb   17.3g
>>   unallocated                      2.47
>>   sda5           linux swap    9.32g       0            9.32g
>>
>> Hope that is not to hard to read.
>>
>> I'l figure out how to send in plain text.
>
> You can't expand into an existing partition. You can shrink or remove
> that partition and then expand another partition into the free space.
> If you want to expand sda1 then remove sda6, shrink sda2 to free up
> the space at the front, then expand sda1

Colin's heart is in the right place, but he forgot an important detail:
sda6 and sda5 are extended partitions that reside, in turn, on sda2.  So
you can resize (presumably; I'm not sure I've ever tried this) sda6, but
then you'll need to move sda5 to the rightward boundary, and THEN you'll
need to resize sda2, too.

-Ken