Can't run apps requiring elevated privileges on artful

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 07:50:12 UTC 2017

On 25 October 2017 at 07:42, Gilles Gravier <ggravier at fsfe.org> wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> Have you noticed this: On a clean artful install, running an app that will
> require elevated privileges (like Synapic) won't work. You get the pop-up
> asking for your password, you enter it, then nothing happens.

Are you using Wayland? This should not be the default I believe
(unless something has changed). You can select which you want from the
login screen.
The technique for running as root is different in Wayland and
apparently individual apps must be updated to allow for this. See bug
[1] where there is more information.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/1706146

Colin