Internet is dying - diagnostics

Volker Wysk post at volker-wysk.de
Sun Oct 22 17:38:14 UTC 2017

Am Sonntag, 22. Oktober 2017, 16:06:13 CEST schrieb Xen:
> Volker Wysk schreef op 22-10-2017 14:07:

> >> A different ethernet device.
> >>
> >> Wired.
> >>
> >> That seems kinda obvious right.
> >>
> >> Any other computer, laptop, access point, television, and so on.
> >
> > Sorry, I don't get what you mean by "take out of the loop"...
> >
> > Do you mean to connect the desktop to a different device, not being the
> > router?
>
> Yes of course. If you want to find out if the router is the problem,
>
> You need to be able to have a direct connection to another device.

How about testing the router by connecting my laptop, by wire? Sounds much
simpler.

> But what you experience really sounds like a router failure.

That's good to know...  :-)

> Hint: contact your ISP, they might even remotely see that it is
> defective.

I'll do, tomorrow.

> Otherwise you need a second switch to test with, or even to connect
> directly to another computer.
>
> You probably don't need a cross cable to do that.
>
> You won't have internet maybe (unless you connect the switch to your
> router), so if you connect it to e.g. your TV you won't be on the net
> for a while but at least you can test pings.

You could just use my laptop.

> So you could keep it running during the night or something and run a
> small script that keeps pinging and recording results.

Now I'll write a little script, and tomorrow I get a spare cable, and test the
router with my laptop. Then I'll (probably) call my ISP.

Thanks
Volker