Software updater snuck in a package that is unwanted

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 06:29:03 UTC 2017

On 21 Oct 2017 7:17 a.m., "Bret Busby" <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:

I have the following suggestions, which I believe to be
useful and worthwhile.

A simple question, how do you know when an important security update is
required?

Colin

I am hoping that someone from the Ubuntu developers sees this message,
and, considers these suggested changes, in the context that I
make them; as constructive suggestions, to improve the usability of
the operating system.

It was suggested to me that I make the suggestions by way of bug
report(s), but, in the context of the content of the suggestions, and,
with the complexity and difficulty involved in making bug reports,
that is simply too difficult for me.

1. The unattended-upgrades package should be removed from the Software
Updater Ubuntu base packages class, and should instead be classed as
an optional extra package, able to be found and installed,  via the
Ubuntu Software Centre, or, otherwise through package management
installers, such as apt-get, aptitude, Synaptic, etc.

2. No package should have the unattended-upgrades package as a
dependency, unless it really is a dependency; in other words, unless
the secondary package can not function without it. In that respect,
perhaps, a system-wide review of package dependencies, is needed, so
that any package is not classed as a dependency, unless the secondary
package can not function without it.

3. The command
sudo apt autoremove
should be automatically engaged/implemented, after each system
upgrade, where any kernel or other packages are made redundant by the
system upgrade. I was partially aware of the command, but did not know
the command, until I found it referenced in the response to the
purge unattended -upgrades
command, to which I was referred in the message thread on the mailing
list. When I did run the
sudo apt autoremove
command, it cleared about 6GB off one system, and, 8GB off another system.

If the command
sudo apt autoremove
should not be automatically engaged/implemented, after each system
upgrade, where any kernel or other packages are made redundant by the
system upgrade, I think it would be a good idea for the system upgrade
software used (for each of the Software Updater, apt-get, aptitude,
Synaptic, etc, to recommend applying the command, on completion of the
system upgrade.

4. For any command or application to, upon completion, require a
system reboot, before the application or utility requesting
confirmation of performing the action (e.g., "Do you want to
continue?", or, <Install upgrades> button, in the Software Updater),
the information/warning should be displayed, to the effect
"Implementing the changes will require a system reboot, to complete the
changes"

One of the reasons for this, is that, occasionally, a system reboot is
required by implementing system upgrades that do not involve packages
with reference to the kernel, in the package names, resulting in
unexpected requirements of system reboots, which can be disruptive to
work being done other than the system upgrades.

Also, in the latest instance, with the command
sudo apt autoremove
being run, and then, the Software Updater, and, not the autoremove
utility, announcing the need for the system reboot, the result was
confusion as to what had actually caused the need for the system
reboot.

--

Bret Busby
Armadale