Software updater snuck in a package that is unwanted

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 19 10:33:45 UTC 2017

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 07:15:52PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 17:30:11 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> >Just one point with the bug report; the bug report refers to only one
> >of the two packages involved (ubuntu-mate-core)
>
> I explained it by an earlier reply, on Wed, 18 Oct 2017 03:52:10 +0200:
> >"unattended-upgrades" is a hard dependency of the quasi empty
> >meta-package "ubuntu-mate-core".
> >
> >"ubuntu-mate-core" is a hard dependency of the quasi empty meta-package
> >"ubuntu-mate-desktop".

This is true as far as it goes, but as I mentioned in my reply,
unattended-upgrades is in fact also a direct dependency of
ubuntu-mate-desktop, along with all the other direct dependencies of
ubuntu-mate-core.  I think that's a clear mistake and I'll try to
remember to look into it after the 17.10 release.

However, as I also mentioned, it doesn't matter in practice since the
way these metapackages are maintained (they're autogenerated from a set
of files that declare what packages go in various categories) means that
the natural way to switch unattended-upgrades from Depends to Recommends
would apply the change to both ubuntu-mate-core and ubuntu-mate-desktop
at once without a developer needing to take any special action.