Execute only + Samba Settings

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 07:41:16 UTC 2017

On 18 October 2017 at 08:07, nitin chandra <nitinchandra1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I need some guidance in setting samba config for one folder,
>
> 1.where files can be executed ONLY,
> 2.cannot be opened for read / write
> (users cannot copy from that folder on clients / their systems).

I don't think you can have x without r (at least it is not
meaningful). If you think about it the client needs to read the file
in order to execute it, and there is no way (particularly with a samba
server) that the server can tell whether the user is actually going to
execute it or just read it.  If fact with a server even the x is just
advisory. Again there is nothing the server can do to prevent the
client executing the file after it has read it.

Colin