Software updater snuck in a package that is unwanted

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 21:41:34 UTC 2017

On 17 October 2017 at 18:09, John R. Sowden <jsowden at americansentry.net> wrote:
> I have had a similar issue with Chrome, the browser written by a company who
> collects personal information.  This 'open source' program has part that is
> 'not open source'.  I cannot keep it off my computer.  Whenever I accept
> updates from Ubuntu (16.04), there is lots of 'chrome' afterwards.

This is not true. In fact it contains at least 2 or 3 _direct lies_.

[1] Ubuntu does not include Chrome. This is not true. Lie #1.
[2] Chrome is not open source. Nobody says it is. Lie #2. Therefore it
is not in the Ubuntu repositories. You cannot install Chrome on Ubuntu
unless you manually download it yourself, or you manually add the
Chrome repositories to your configuration. Lie #3 is "I cannot keep it
off my computer."
[3] No Ubuntu update will ever add Chrome to your system. Lie #4

> When Linux started, at was all about freedom (from MS Windows).

No it wasn't. It was a free POSIX-compatible kernel, no more. Not correct.

> Now Ubuntu,
> 'just another distribution of Linux', has taken on a life of its own

Define that that is meant to mean.

> and has
> decided what out Linux OS will be like.

Every mainstream distro decides what your OS will be like. Only the
build-your-own ones (Gentoo, Arch, LFS) do not.

Another untruth.

> I think this is going on everywhere
> nowadays.

Always has been the case. "Nowadays" is not true.

> I think, like the lack of a Foxpro database system,

Who cares? That was obsolete by 1990. It's just a dBase compiler, and
dBase is long long dead. Fox was bought by Microsoft in 1992.

No, there are no native Microsoft apps for desktop Linux. Except
Skype, which already existed and is sporadically updated, I guess you
could say.

True but irrelevant.

> a free Linux with user
> choice, is a void in the available software today that is actually an
> opportunity for an enterprising group.

Debian. Slackware. Arch. Gentoo. Linux from Scratch. There are many. Go play.

Every single point in your email is untrue.

And, by the way, this is a mailing list. Bottom posting is the order here.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lproven at gmail.com