Software updater snuck in a package that is unwanted

compdoc compdoc at hotrodpc.com
Tue Oct 17 21:33:01 UTC 2017

>Prithee explain why, if the ubuntu-mate packages have a dependency on
>the trojan package, they work quite well, when that trojan package is
>NOT installed

I have used whatever is the current LTS Server for the last 3 or 4 generations, and have used the last few of versions of Mate. I do minimal installs of both, and dont usually even install libreoffice or network manager.

Several times over the years, I have wanted to remove a package only to be told that I'd also be stripping out most of Mate as well.

I have never considered this behavior to involve any sort of trojan or be suspicious behavior, mainly because these machines act as servers and I know each additional app that I install pretty well.