Gnome replaces Unity

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 21:31:59 UTC 2017

On 17 October 2017 at 20:00, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
> I've got a 24" LCD with pivot and would use the pivot feature, if
> writing or editing magazines or something like this would be my domain.

You're getting closer.

The thing is, the original Radius Pivot monitor told the Mac it was
connected to when the user rotated it. So you could regularly flip
with minimal hassle.

Modern ones don't. And whereas they're flat screens, they're much
bigger. It's not worth the hassle.

One of each works, but regularly rotating a single one, not so much.

> I've got no time to test different panels yet, so given that
> xfce4-panel should be the only panel providing what some users need, it
> still would be possible to use it with any other DE or just with a WM.

Why bother?

GNOME 3 doesn't directly support other panels.

GNOME 2 did -- I tried it -- but it was fiddly and a pain, so I
stopped. I suspect Maté is not much better.

Also, there are only so many desktops available in most distros. At
work I use OpenSUSE, so my choices are:
* GNOME 3
* KDE 5
* Xfce
* LXDE
* IceWM

Anything else means custom config.

So, life being too short, I go with the desktop whose panel does what I need.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lproven at gmail.com