Software updater snuck in a package that is unwanted

John R. Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Tue Oct 17 16:09:22 UTC 2017

I have had a similar issue with Chrome, the browser written by a company
who collects personal information.  This 'open source' program has part
that is 'not open source'.  I cannot keep it off my computer.  Whenever
I accept updates from Ubuntu (16.04), there is lots of 'chrome' afterwards.

When Linux started, at was all about freedom (from MS Windows).  Now
Ubuntu, 'just another distribution of Linux', has taken on a life of its
own and has decided what out Linux OS will be like.  I think this is
going on everywhere nowadays.

I think, like the lack of a Foxpro database system, a free Linux with
user choice, is a void in the available software today that is actually
an opportunity for an enterprising group.

John Sowden