Software updater snuck in a package that is unwanted

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 06:22:59 UTC 2017

On 17/10/2017, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17 October 2017 at 00:51, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:
>> How do I remove a package that was snuck in?
>
> It wasn't "snuck in". It's got updated. It's been a standard component
> for a decade or more.

The "snuck in" was not that it hadn't previously been present.

I had observed its presence, previously, and, had deselected it from
installation.

The "snuck in" was that it was installed, inadvertently, against my will.

> Rather than panicking, just Google it!
>
> There are dozens of clear helpful how-tos if you just search for
> "ubuntu disable unattended-upgrades"
>
> It's not a tool as such. It's an entry in the built-in system
> scheduler, cron, part of _all_ Unix systems. As far as I know it's off
> by default.
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/automatic-updates.html
>
> https://www.garron.me/en/linux/turn-off-stop-ubuntu-automatic-update.html
>
> Note that the 2nd link is from 5Y ago. This is _not_ new.

That is all very well, but the second link tells how to stop automated
checking for updates, but, not how to prevent automated installation.

--

Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."