Software updater snuck in a package that is unwanted

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 22:51:01 UTC 2017

How do I remove a package that was snuck in?

The Software updater apparently installed a package that was listed as
"Automatically install upgrades" or something like that, because I did
not know how to permanently block it.

Synaptic shows it (I think) as unattended upgrades", with the
description "automatic installation of security upgrades".

Apparently, this trojan horse has the effect that, to remove it, so as
to revert to manually performing upgrades (which is as it should be),
I have to wreck the system, by removing the desktop system and the
operating system core.

So, how do I remove this trojan horse, without destroying the system?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."