Gnome replaces Unity

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 13:06:17 UTC 2017

On 16 October 2017 at 08:40, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:

> She is a typical non-power desktop user, which is what the vast
> majority of users are. She uses Firefox for web-based activity,
> Gnucash for accounts, Libreoffice for documents and a couple of other
> apps. For such a user the default install of 17.10 is little different
> to Unity. If you don't agree then please point out the major
> differences she would expect to notice.

This is turning into a very odd thread.

"Xen" shouting at me and then refusing to engage when I _agreed with
them_ but cavilled over their examples and rationalisation.

You, now challenging me when I drew a conclusion from what you said
_when you are agreeing with that conclusion_.

If someone is a non-technical, non-power user, then sure, if they're
used to Unity, they'll have no problem with GNOME 3, especially if
they use the Ubuntu flavour.

If all they know is Windows, they will have problems, which is why all
these exist:
* GNOME fallback mode
* GNOME classic mode
* Cinnamon
* SUSE Enterprise Linux's special GNOME shell tweak
* the Consort desktop (now dead)

In fact, the weirdness and lack of end-user customisability of GNOME
Shell is the reason for Maté existing at all, and for the success of
both Cinnamon and Maté.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lproven at gmail.com