Gnome replaces Unity

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 17:47:41 UTC 2017

On 14 October 2017 at 19:17, Xen <list at xenhideout.nl> wrote:
> Liam Proven schreef op 14-10-2017 18:42:
>
>> I agreed with what Ralf says here entirely. :-)
>

> If I see all of what you said in the other email...
>

> This does not bode well for Ubuntu.

Agreed.

> Unless they greatly customize it.

They've said they won't but they've done some.

> Ubuntu was something you could give to people.

Yup.

> I never liked Unity

Doesn't sit well with your previous comment.

> but if I remember correctly Gnome 3 can't even minimize
> windows.

You do not. It can.

Double-click the title bar to maximise.
Right-click to minimise.

What it can't do is middle-click to send-to-back, a deal-breaker for me.

> I liked Unity fine enough for live session, great, nice look orange feel.

Um.

> No Desktop Environment can do without minimizing.

I'm sure it could. Psion EPOC did OK, for instance.

> The show desktop feature of KDE is even terrible because it doesn't actually
> minimize any windows, nor move them out of sight entirely.

I have not tried it. I have a KDE machine at work, I will look.

> STICK TO WHAT WORKS.

Then there'd never be any progress.

> These 'innovations' are what ruin everything.

I have discussed this with the dev team, and they deny it, but I think
a primary driver was to be _un_like Windows and secondarily the Mac.
Remember that this was the time when Microsoft was threatening to sue
the Linux world for copying the Windows desktop.

Which the Linux world had indeed done.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/Print/2013/06/03/thank_microsoft_for_linux_desktop_fail/

> When I last tried Gnome 3 it was terrible.

Agreed, more or less. Pretty but a pain to use.

> The Gnome 3 people are pretty nice and more engaged or community-oriented
> than the Kubuntu folk, less elitist in a way,

I've heard that. I find them very welcoming. I was at GUADEC last year
and it was very interesting.

> I mean the Ubuntu Gnome people.... sorry.

Um.

> Cinnamon for me is the best-looking best-made desktop, just too limited
> compared to KDE and with their own peculiar brand of weirdness called
> reversing all dialog buttons.

The best-looking?

NeXTstep. Never bettered.

Cinnamon is OK but it can't do vertical panels properly. That's
another deal-breaker for me.

> "Let's fuck with people."

I never even _noticed_ if dialog buttons moved. I change desktops all
the time -- my desktop is a Mac, the laptops run Ubuntu, I work for a
Linux company and I have spare boxes with Windows for things like
phone-reflashing and VMware-server-wrangling.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lproven at gmail.com