Gnome replaces Unity

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat Oct 14 16:44:23 UTC 2017

> On 14 Oct 2017, at 18:07, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 14 October 2017 at 16:44, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
>>> On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 16:22:24 +0100, R Kimber wrote:
>>> would people advise moving back from Ubuntu-mate to the main
>>> Gnome-based distribution?
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> don't do it!
>> Don't do it!
>> Don't do it!
>> Don't do it!
>>
>> After using both Live-DVDs several times, the Ubuntu Mate 16.10 x86_64
>> as well as the Tails 3.1 x86_64, I strongly recommend against
>> using GNOME.
>>
>> Ubuntu as well as Tails are based upon Debian and Tails does come with
>> GNOME. I'm a pure openbox user, I dislike Lubuntu, even while the used
>> WM is openbox, but I like Ubuntu Mate, just not enough to migrate from
>> openbox to Mate.
>>
>> Do yourself a favour and stay with Mate.
>
> It would be helpful if you made some suggestions about what is wrong
> with Gnome Shell rather than just stating don't do it, without any
> reasons.
> Also, and this question if for the OP, is Mate based on Gnome Shell?
> If not then why the suggestion to move to it?

Hi,

at the moment I run Tails with GNOME from a live media, to make a complete backup of my Linux multi-boot PC. I reply from my iPad, so the first thing I could point out is, that the GNOME desktop seemingly is for usage with a touchscreen. While my iPad has got a touch screen, the PC actually has got no touchscreen.

Another issue is, that you can't use gsettings and dconf to access all GNOME related settings, e.g. there's seemingly no way to set up /org/gnome/terminal/legacy/profiles:/ without using the GUI to edit the profile/s first. I could copy and paste an example when the backups are done.

I found no howto, to edit the panel's clock to display seconds, so I always install xclock, but randomly selecting "Always on Top" for the clock's window could cause a freeze, so only resetting the PC is possible.

Right now the dialog containing "Always on Top" doesn't disappear, while I didn't chose anything, this isn't much better than a total freeze.

There even is an inconsistency regarding the GNOME app's style. Some provide a menu bar, but no burger thingy, other provide the burger thingy, but no menu bar.

The animations are disgusting. The performance on my new machine is good, but the animations emulate a bad performance.

Regards,
Ralf