Linux Skype

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 22:01:14 UTC 2017

On 13/10/2017, Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 2017-10-13 at 16:07 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>> On 13/10/2017, Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:
>> > The new Skype Beta 5 for Linux looks OK, but doesn't work for me.
>> I had tried to update my Skype for Linux (Beta) from 4.3.0.37, on
>> UbuntuMATE 16.04.x, on one system here, using the Ubuntu Software
>> Updater, and it refused, saying that it was from an untrusted source
>
> I have installed Skype from the Skype site since around 13.04, as the
> Ubuntu versions always seemed to screw up. Maybe they got better.
>
>> On my other computer that I am using (this one), the version of Skype
>> seems to be motoring along okay.
>
> You are actually using it to talk to people? Voice, not just chat? Mine
> Failed To Proceed after the EOL date.
>
>> But just now, in trying to load the Beta for Linux version of Skype,
>> on that computer, resulted in a "This version of Skype is no longer
>> supported" exception/error/sabotage/bar through the spokes thing.
>
> Which version were you trying to install? There have been several
> "Skype for Linux (Beta)"s.

This is where it gets even sillier.

This stuff relates to the computer other than this one - the computer
that now has two distinctly different versions of skype, installed.
Both versions previously loaded and ran (inasmuch as the later version
would run, with its massively reduced functionality).

The version of Skype Beta for Linux, that is installed, that does not
work, which comes up with the "This version of skype is not supported
anymore" error, is the unhappy feet one - the one with the deranged
dancing penguin - v5.3.0.1 .

The Ubuntu Software Updater does not show to what version of each
package, it intends to update, and, so, does not show to what version
of skype Beta for Linux, it is trying to upgrade.

Synaptic shows, for skype, the Installed Version and the Latest
Version, as being 4.3.0.37-0ubuntu (?) - something wrong there.

Synaptic also shows skypeforlinux (that is the package name
instantiation) as being Installed Version 5.3.0.1 and Latest Version
as 5.5.0.1 .

So, I assume that the one that the Ubuntu Software Updater tried to
install, but, refused to install, is skypeforlinux 5.5.0.1 .

Now, because all of that crap shows the skypeforlinux to be that
rubbish v5.x, I thought, what is the version of the skype that is
installed on that computer, that is not the skype for linux?

So, I loaded the version of skype, that is simply designated Skype,
and not the version designated Skype for Linux Beta, and, guess what?
That version loads okay, and, I can log into it, and, run it, and, it
is Skype For Linux Beta v4.3.0.37

So, Skype for Linux Beta v4.3.0.37 appears to still be working okay,
and, everything later from Microshite, is simply what the name
suggests - shite.

>> But, as said above, on this computer, Skype for Linux (Beta)
>> v4.3.0.37, appears to be motoring along okay, without having tried to
>> update it.
>
> Would be fascinated if you can actually use it, since mine (same
> version!) stopped working on the very day MS said it would. I've
> installed the version off the MS site now, 5.5.0.1, complete with
> sarcastic dancing penguin and crappy taskbar icon.
>
> Regards, K.

> Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)
> http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
> http://twitter.com/kauer389
>
> GPG fingerprint: A52E F6B9 708B 51C4 85E6 1634 0571 ADF9 3C1C 6A3A
> Old fingerprint: E00D 64ED 9C6A 8605 21E0 0ED0 EE64 2BEE CBCB C38B

Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

 you'll know what the answer means."