Linux Skype

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 08:07:08 UTC 2017

On 13/10/2017, Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:
> The new Skype Beta 5 for Linux looks OK, but doesn't work for me. Seems
> to connect, but no sound, no video, so it's hard to tell.
>
> And in a move truly worthy of their reputation, Microsoft has chosen to
> make the audio and video settings available only when you have *already
> started* a call. If the connection does not succeed, you have no chance
> to adjust the settings.
>
> Am I missing something, or is this the most braindead idea since the
> noise-operated volume control?
>
> Regards, K.

I had tried to update my Skype for Linux (Beta) from 4.3.0.37, on
UbuntuMATE 16.04.x, on one system here, using the Ubuntu Software
Updater, and it refused, saying that it was from an untrusted source
(I mentioned the in the thread with a subject something like "Faulty
Software Updater on 16.04").

On my other computer that I am using (this one), the version of Skype
seems to be motoring along okay.

On the other computer, after having received, some months ago,  a
message from Skype, "You are shown to be using Skype on a television
(?). That version will be exterminated as of 01 July 2017. You must
update to our new, reduced functionality version. Resistance is
futile!", or, something to that effect, I installed the new version,
which I found to be useless (like having a car, and getting a new car
that has no engine and doesn't move (making it more difficult to
steal, according to the MS logic - like the BSOD security paradigm -
"If your computer is made completely non-functional, then, it can not
suffer a security breach"), but, installing the new (not Beta)
version, on that computer, left the Beta version for Linux, installed.

But just now, in trying to load the Beta for Linux version of Skype,
on that computer, resulted in a "This version of Skype is no longer
supported" exception/error/sabotage/bar through the spokes thing.

But, as said above, on this computer, Skype for Linux (Beta)
v4.3.0.37, appears to be motoring along okay, without having tried to
update it.

(Oops - I should not have said that - the thugs with baseball bats
will probably shut that one down now, also, once their agents (like
the agents in Matrix) find out about it.

--

Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."