Notebook won't reboot after nvidia driver install

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 16:55:52 UTC 2017

On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 1:17 PM, Xen <list at xenhideout.nl> wrote:
> MR ZenWiz schreef op 07-10-2017 21:05:
>
>> I downloaded the driver from nvidia's web site and installed it.
>>
>> Now the notebook won't boot at all - I'm running off a flash drive.
>>
>> It keeps stopping in busybox.  I've tried going back to recover mode
>> and previous versions that used to work fine, and it's just plain
>> dead.  I really don't want to have to do a fuil reinstlla, but I can
>> if that's my only option.

I took the "easy" way out.

I tried deleting the nvidia.ko files from the appropriate
/lib/modules... directories on the hard drive, but it would never boot
at all.

I gave up and reinstalled the OS.  As usual, I also ahd to reinstall
the older, working nvidia driver (340.102) to get video output from
VLC, and I (finally) have a script with which I track my installed
apps so I can reinstall them en masse fairly easily.

It's back up and functional.

I'll have some words for nvidia when I get to that.

Thanks for all the advice.  I will know better next time.

MR