Faulty Software Updater on 16.04

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 07:34:49 UTC 2017

On 4 October 2017 at 20:25, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:

Your quoting is badly broken and I cannot tell to what you are referring.

> and my understanding is that
> apt-get dist-upgrade
> upgrades the distribution, or version, to the latest current one;
> hence, 16.04 to 17.10 ; LTS to non-LTS.

No. No it does not.

> In the context of all of the material in that message, it inferred,

To infer means to draw a conclusion on the basis of evidence. I think
you mean "it implied".

> or, implied, that
> apt-get dist-upgrade = apt full-upgrade

That is correct.

Both "apt-get dist-upgrade" and "apt full-upgrade" mean the same. They
both instruct APT to upgrade all the packages in your installation to
the latest available versions *of that release*. Neither will upgrade
to a newer release of Ubuntu.

> Simple me, simple logic.

Remember the kid's joke:

"Don't assume. Remember, when you assume, you make an 'ass' out of 'u'
and 'me'."

You have jumped, from inadequate evidence, to an incorrect conclusion.
Don't try to defend it, just learn from it and move on.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lproven at gmail.com