127.0.1.1 in /etc/hosts

Stuart McGraw smcg4191 at mtneva.com
Wed Nov 29 14:34:34 UTC 2017

On 11/28/2017 02:55 AM, Karl Auer wrote:
> On Tue, 2017-11-28 at 00:07 -0700, Stuart McGraw wrote:
>> Except that netstat shows bacula listening on 127.0.0.1 (and
>> broken) when the 127.0.1.1 line is in the hosts file and on
>> 0.0.0.0 (and working) when it is not.
>
> Then bacula is broken or something else is getting in the way. That
> line as given CANNOT resolve to 127.0.0.1.

I didn't look *inside* bacula so I don't know what it resolved as,
just that bacula decided, based on what it got, to listen on the
addresses I reported.

> I'm starting to think about typos now...

No typos, I've checked multiple times.

> Can you post your entire /etc/hosts file please?

It is the standard host file generated by a fresh install but at
this point, thanks to yours and the other responses, I think I
understand the factors involved, at least somewhat, and need to
think more about what I want to happen the rest of the network
is not available at boot time.