name resolution

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 17:24:49 UTC 2017

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 8:36 AM, Xen <list at xenhideout.nl> wrote:

> You skip everything that is technical and relevant.
>
> Such as this link:
>
> http://avahi.freedesktop.narkive.com/XD3tWzYz/multicast-dns-and-the-unicast-local-domain
>
> Or this fragment by Lennart Poettering:
>
> "Sounds like a good idea. Could you please bring this to the attention
> of the Debian/Ubuntu folks who ship that .local detection script? (To
> my knowledge the other distros still don't, though they should)
>
> Lennart"

I guess that this is the thread with Lennart and "the dns guy."

You misunderstand it completely.

Carsten S, unlike you, isn't running a private ".local" domain. He's
being a good citizen and preventing ".local" queries from leaking out.

Ubuntu had implemented at the time a detection mechanism whereby if
".local" was configured as a unicast domain (which was a suggestion
that was made by Lennart for all distributions), avahi wouldn't start.
AFAIR, Ubuntu responded by providing an envvar that could be sourced
from a file in "/etc/default/" to allow avahi to start even if a
unicast ".local" is detected by its startup script.