name resolution

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Sat Nov 25 11:06:34 UTC 2017

Xen schreef op 25-11-2017 8:52:

>>> And all the same, if "dns" precedes that, the above would still hold
>>> true in
>>> mDNS.
>>
>> Wrong. I don't think you know networking as well as you think you do.

I was responding to the following segment:

     Of course, practical necessity. You can plug a laptop into a network
     and see all the network shares immediately, whether they're files or
     printers (whether you can then access them is a different matter).
     That's the meaning of "zeroconf."

So if dns precedes mdns the only thing that could get invalidated, that
would get invalidated, is your claim to "immediately".

I have run my script again on an internet-connected server that should
resemble broadband internet.

$ for q in i.dont exist.here iam.sure of.that i.think.at.least
but.what.gives; do time=$(cat /proc/uptime | awk '{print $1}' | sed
"s/\.//"); host $q > /dev/null; time=$(( $(cat /proc/uptime | awk
'{print $1}' | sed "s/\.//") - time )); echo $time; done

Results:

7
12
2
2
14
17

That's an average of 10cs or less.

So you would have to wait 10 centiseconds as your device queries the
internet, as your internet-connected device queries the internet.

It is pretty clear that as long as your internet works okay, this is not
going to be a practical issue for anyone.

They are not going to notice the difference.