Name resolution with unqualified names

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 05:10:12 UTC 2017

On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 2:48 PM, compdoc <compdoc at hotrodpc.com> wrote:

> On 11/24/2017 03:39 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>
> I'd be happy with a way to get the other desktops to use Camelot as the
>> DNS server.  But of course they'd have to be able to find it.
>>

> After you install a dns server, you just configure all machines to use the
> ip address of Camelot as their first dns server. This is better done using
> DHCP, which the router can provide, Im sure.
>
> Also, usually faster to wire the desktop to the router, and might be safer
> if wifi isnt locked down.

Some problems / observations with that

1. I'm not aware of having installed a DNS server.  Camelot is running
Xubuntu, one other machine is running Ubuntu, two are running a server
version of Ubuntu.  Perhaps some or all have a DNS server, but it's not
because of anything I planned, so I don't know much about it.

2. The means to do the configuration you mention was exactly my question.
I used to edit /etc/resolv.conf, but it is no longer a file.

3. All are already getting their IP addresses via DHCP from the router,
probably by wire through a switch for the wired interfaces, by WiFi for the
Wifi ports.

4. There are 4 desktops, a printer, and a monitoring device for my solar
panels, all using wires.  Only one of these (Camelot) also has WiFi.  Not
enough router ports (there are just 4).  It happens the laptops also use
both wires and WiFi.  Thus the switches.

5. I'm not sure what it takes to qualify as "locked down".  It's got a long
password, and I know all the devices that show up in its device map.

If you can help me with item #2, I'll be very grateful.

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */