name resolution

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Fri Nov 24 17:56:27 UTC 2017

Colin Watson schreef op 24-11-2017 18:41:

>> I mean why don't you stop telling such things.
>
> Is there some way in which the list moderators think that this is
> compatible with the code of conduct?  I for one don't really want to
> spend time reading this sort of thing.

Well I apologize for my language (I wanted to do it before but was like
what the hell ;-). Sorry).

>   Disagreement is no excuse for poor manners.

As well you know cynically breaking down other people's posts, as is
very common in Linux,

is not just disagreement, it is usually meant to shut people up.

So poor manners are actually extremely common, but taken as nonoffensive
while I find it usually to be extremely offensive.

But I apologize for my language.

>   We work together to
>   resolve conflict, assume good intentions and do our best to act in an
>   empathic fashion.  We don't allow frustration to turn into a personal
>   attack.  A community where people feel uncomfortable or threatened is
>   not a productive one.

I am usually threatened.

Whenever I write something, often times the responses kill the
atmosphere.

They are often written

>> > If you want to avoid that the domain name of your LAN is in use or
>> > gets "stolen" by someone else, you should register a domain.
>>
>> Yes, you don't see the difference.
>>
>> How does one, oh great Nils, register a top level domain for private
>> use?
>>
>> Tell me how an individual can register a top level domain just for him
>> or
>> herself.
>
> Nils didn't say "top level", as far as I can see.  Perhaps they do the
> same as I do and use a registered non-top-level domain for their
> private
> network, which seems perfectly reasonable ...

It seems like a bad thing to enforce on people.

My network doesn't have a domain other than .local.

I am currently not even connected to the internet.

Public domains can also change, but I'll stop talking.