Resetting and *locking* the Desktop in Ubuntu 14.04

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat Nov 18 20:02:47 UTC 2017

We have a batch of public workstations and sometimes, somehow (I don't know
how -- I am not a user of pointy-clicky desktop file managers), the desktop
file manager displays ~home/ instead of ~home/Desktop.  How do I fix this and
how do I prevent users from randomly changing it?  Specificly, what config
files are being messed with and how do I "lock" those files (eg make them
non-writable or something).  And no, I don't want a pointy-clicky solution, I
want a solution I can implement from the command line, since I suspect it
might be a matter of running a daily cron job to fix/re-fix.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933