Konsole select into primary clipboard

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 11:14:13 UTC 2017

On 12 November 2017 at 04:38, Xen <list at xenhideout.nl> wrote:
> Liam Proven schreef op 11-11-2017 23:53:
>
>> If you do Paste Special.
>

> Right. Well LibreOffice also has its paste menu whenever something is
> formatted.

Fair enough.

>>> Except you haven't.
>>>
>>> You have been using an archaic side effect
>>
>> *Shrug* So?
>
> So the IBM/DEC interface you rumour is not up to the test.

We are talking about 2 totally different, unconnected things here.

Compose keys versus clipboards. There's no connection. Keep them separate.

The middle-click-to-insert-current-selection feature isn't a clipboard
at all. There is no intermediate storage. It's a useful feature
separate from and in addition to the clipboard-based cut/copy/paste
function. It's not anything to do with DEC or IBM. It's a feature of
X.11 as far as I know. I like it, I use it.

Honestly, I don't really care whether you like it or not. Your choice.
But I will protest most strongly if you want to take it away from me.
Even if you want to replace it with something you think is more
powerful. I don't care. I don't want your more powerful feature. I
like the one I have.

>> Hey. Whoa whoa whoa! [[Citation needed]]
>>
>> Among skilled Unix users, this is well-known and widely used, IME.
>> _Very_ widely used. More widely used than Vi, I reckon.
>

> Which is how many people on a global scale?
>
> "Among skilled Unix users".
>
> Unix (Linux) accounts for no more than 3% of desktop users.
>
> If we add todays smartphone users, it is even less (those don't account for
> Linux desktop).

Totally irrelevant: they have no keyboards or mice, so middle-clicking
is not possible.

> Today, 1/3 of web visits happens through mobile.
>
> Of the 2/3 that is desktop visits, 3% is Linux/Unix.
>
> Of the 1/3 that is mobile visit, nothing is Linux/Unix.
>
> Enough citation?

No.

Not even close.

We are talking about a Unix feature, something that is a function of
X.11 and a 3-button mouse. Anything that isn't Unix, doesn't have
pointing devices with 3+ buttons, is totally irrelevant.

>> Also total nonsense. There are about 100x as many Mac and Windows
>> users as Linux users. They all have only one clipboard. They seem fine
>> with it. I read no complaints. "Too limited" is _not true_.
>

> Then why do you fear discarding it?

I don't fear it. I use it, I like it. I don't want any crappy features
from any crappy old junk like Vim replacing it.

This is the same as you complaining about GNOME 3. I don't like GNOME
3 either. I like what I have and I don't want it taken away. You did
too. So we both disliked GNOME 3.

Now, you're being the GNOME developer. "I don't like this, so you
can't gave it."

That is not OK. Do not take away my tool which I like because you don't like it.

> You don't see how contradictory you are?

No, because you want to take something off me. That's something I am
not accepting. That's not being contradictory.

> You laud a system you say is unnecessary, but is in "heavy" use.
>
> Me, I *do* miss another clipboard in Windows.
>
> It frequently happens that I forget to save something and I lose some text.
>
> Normally when I think of it, as said, I put it in a Notepad window.

So use a Windows clipboard enhancement tool.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19420/store-multiple-items-to-clipboard-in-windows/

https://lifehacker.com/5298615/five-best-clipboard-managers

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-clipboard-managers-windows/

I don't want it, so I don't use it. Same as Windows itself. Don't
want, don't use.

>>> Yes and In Windows I Just Use Notepad As Another Scratch Pad but I
>>> haven't
>>> found a good, or I have never found a good notepad in Linux for that.
>>

>> (?)
>

> I notice a question mark wrapped in 2 parentheses. Good for you.

It means a question. It is questioning your statement. How can you not
find a good notepad in Linux? There are _hundreds_.

> Still sounds like you found something that "will do", nothing great.
>
> But anyway.
>
> There is a clone of the MS-DOS editor right. Is that Tilde?

Yes, basically.

> Dutch layout wasn't that much different except - was on the ? key, and a few
> others.
>
> £ may have had its own key.

Is there any use for '£' in Dutch?

I imagined 'ij' might be a key, or 'ÿ'. I can't think of anything else
but I don't speak Dutch.

>>> It only "bugs" while doing <--.
>>

>> Compose + < + - == ←
>

> I meant " characters ;-).

I worked that out belatedly. Double-quotes, we call them. Yes, they
are a problem with dead keys.

> Personally if they would put the spellcheck off by default or think of
> people who are bilingual,
>
> that would be the biggest thing.

Agreed.

> I am on a mobile connection atm,
>
> so I can't download ISOs on a batch
>
> or I would probably have installed Ubuntu 16.04 (Unity)

Ah. Sorry to hear that. Perhaps a wifi hotspot, or an Internet café might help.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lproven at gmail.com