Custom .XCompose

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Sun Nov 12 08:24:35 UTC 2017

Bob schreef op 12-11-2017 7:27:
> ** Reply to message from Xen <list at xenhideout.nl> on Sat, 11 Nov 2017
> 20:21:22
> +0100
>
>> Bob schreef op 11-11-2017 19:53:
>>
>> > I have the need to input the extra Swedish characters occassionally and
>> > have
>> > been using the Alt-nnn method, using a compose key seems much easier.
>> > I looked
>> > at the xmodmap man page and the -help but could not figure out how to
>> > use it to
>> > add the compose key, too many things not defined.
>> >
>> > So could some kind person give the xmodmap command to add the compose
>> > key to
>> > the capslock key?
>>
>> You should be able to do it within Unity/Gnome/KDE.
>
> I think you have me confused with someone else that knows Ubuntu, it is
> not yet
> my primary OS.  I do know I was using Unity and the last upgrade that
> changed
> to Gnome but I do not know what KDE is.

Unity is the thing you get if you install Ubuntu 16.04

It is based on Gnome 3.

17.10 changed to Gnome 3.

It was possible to use a special flavour of Ubuntu called "Ubuntu Gnome"
that already used Gnome 3.

Starting from 17.10, this ceases to exist.

There is another flavour of Ubuntu called Kubuntu.

It uses another desktop called "KDE" which really just means "K Desktop
Environment".

KDE is based on a different toolset.

The graphical Linux world has always had two: GTK and Qt.

Both Ubuntu Unity and Gnome 3 (and Gnome 2) were based on GTK.

So Ubuntu was already very close to Gnome 3 which is why they are able
to make the move with not much effort.

The last Long Term Support release with Unity is 16.04.

Since you will only be using GTK, you can follow Karl's instructions in
his email to set up a compose key in Unity.