Konsole select into primary clipboard

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Fri Nov 10 20:31:36 UTC 2017

Liam Proven schreef op 10-11-2017 20:36:

> CUA is pretty good.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it. I love it too.

> A tool I used to disable or uninstall when I used KDE, because it got
> in the way and annoyed me.

I don't like Klipper for 2 reasons.

- it is unintended
- you can't actually view the history for very long

> But whatever you prefer. I'm not saying I'm right and anyone else is
> wrong, just that I like the current system.

I'm just saying it doesn't work if you are co-existing in any other
environment.

That said I haven't checked Konsole options yet...

Lol yeah euhm.... it had an option for what I wanted :p.

KDE generally makes me not want to explore options...

:(.

:p.

Now at least it will work the way Putty does.

No surprises anymore now.

I think a better system than a menu is when you decide the buffer at the
end of your action.

For instance.

You could hold down a key combination (e.g.  ctrl-c) and if you hold it
down for longer than a second a menu pops up with a choice of 1 2 3 and
4.

Bit hard to paste that way though.

The Vim system doesn't work all that bad but Vims biggest problem is
that you can't delete any text while overwriting your ordinary save
buffer.

Vim only has ctrl-x, no "del" button.

This constantly risks overwriting your save buffer and makes the program
unusable.

> It used to be built into to both but so few people know about it,
> nobody used it, so GNOME removed it -- as they do everything useful --
> and Unity inherited that.

It's sometimes hard to discover everything on your own...

They should make it default in KDE.

The only thing is you cannot discover it on your own how it works.

Well I mean make left-shift + right alt the compose key by default.

Interferes with nothing.

Now how to tell people...

>> Even if you don't like them, then also don't make them stupider than
>> they
>> have to be.
>
> *Shrug* No comment.

I have no great issue with the dead keys in Windows. It makes it
annoying while programming that's true, but you can live with it. What
you can't live with if the behaviour suddenly changes from system to
system.

I could use AltGr as compose but how to type € then?

>> But you are falling into the "I don't like to eat oranges, so I will
>> also
>> not use the color orange" trap.
>
> I get that a lot.

You're missing the point. I'm not telling you to use Vim.

Even the most worthless thing in existence has something good to it.

Or as Cruijff said: Elk nadeel heb ze voordeel.

(Every disadvantage has its advantage).

(As a football strategist).

So even though Vim is a pain in the ass to use.

It does have multiple buffers.

> Neither understand when I say I won't use anything that isn't CUA.

I have no problem understanding that.

> There's a standard editor UI -- not just menus but keyboard shortcuts,
> terminology, etc. -- that _all_ GUI editors use and have used for
> about 30 years now. Some console-mode/text-mode editors use it too.
>
> I used to know about 15-12 different word processor UIs in the era of
> MS-DOS. I liked and used MS Word, LocoScript, MS-DOS 5 Editor. If I
> had to, I could use WordPerfect 5.1. I disliked but also worked with
> and supported:
> * Wordstar
> * Wordstar 2000 (totally different)
> * Wordstar Express/Wordstar 1512  (totally different again)
> * MultiMate
> * DisplayWrite
> * DECwrite
> * PC Write
> * XyWrite
> * Samna Executive
> * WordPerfect 4.2 (no menus)
> * Lotus Symphony
> * Edlin
> * VMS EDIT
> ... and others.
>
> Every one had a different UI. Nothing in common. I used them all.
>
> I hated them all to some degree, some more than others.
>
> Then came the Mac and later Windows and it all went away. Everyone had
> a File menu, an Edit menu, a View menu, etc. Everyone understood
> Ctrl-O is open, Ctrl-S is save, Ctrl-P is print, Shift-Del or Ctrl-X
> is cut, etc.
>
> So I happily forgot all that proprietary nastiness and moved to the
> new standard.
>
> I am not going back for _anybody_.

I'm not telling you to.

You don't understand what "Just because you don't like to eat an orange,
you can still use orange paint" means.

I'm not telling you to use Vim.

I'm not telling you to eat the orange.

I'm just saying there might be some ideas in the editor that are worth
considering if they could be implemented in something else that is
actually a bit more userfriendly.

Just because in general the interface is worthless doesn't mean it is
completely devoid of good ideas.

Don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

I am talking on the level of inspiration, not existing software.

> So unless someone does _again_ what Borland did with Sprint, 25y ago,
> and rewrite Emacs to have a bog-standard UI. Files, not "buffers".
> Windows and panes. All the CUA menus, commands and keystrokes, at the
> console as well as in a GUI.
>
> Then I'll look.
>
> After the power is no use if I can't use it as a simple editor like
> any other, and with vi and Emacs, I can't. So, not interested.

Where did I tell you to use vi?

> The thing I love about compose key sequences is that you can just
> guess almost all of them.
>
> ` + letter == grave accent
> ' + letter == acute accent (and čarka: é, á)
> " + letter == umlaut/diaresis
> ^ + letter == circumflex
> / + letter == line through (¢, ¥, Ł, ø)
> etc. etc.
> a + e == æ
> o + e == œ
> a + a == å
> Czech style hačky are a less-than sign: ř, š, č, ť, ď
> Cedilla is a comma: ç
> Tilde is a tilde, obviously -- ~ + n == ñ

> https://sourceforge.net/projects/allchars/
>
> or
>
> https://github.com/samhocevar/wincompose

Right. Should fix things a little bit. Although I'm comfortable with
dead keys.

I would rather stay with dead keys in Linux as long as they are the same
as in Windows.

Which is only annoying for " and ', but you get used to the rhythm.

But as usual in Linux there are only useless options to choose from (as
far as I have discovered).