my little rant...

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Fri Nov 10 12:46:22 UTC 2017

Karl Auer schreef op 10-11-2017 11:11:

> LibreOffice has not crashed on me in Linux for years. I don't know how
> many, but more than five. Maybe the crashing is a KDE problem? Run up a
> non-KDE virtual in seamless mode and run LibreOffice in that...

Could be. Doesn't happen every day. Don't know how to reproduce it yet.
May have had something to do with image resizing/moving.

>> I mean I think I can go on for a while.
>
> You mentioned KDE in almost every line. Bit of a pointer, that...

People have the same amount of issues with Gnome 3.

I guess not so much with Mate, which seems very popular.

Cinnamon has its own awkwardness and feels too enclosed for me.

It has less of the issues I mentioned, yes.

Mint also has a rather controlled, closed community where it is ehm....
extremely easy to get banned from e.g. their forum.

There are no mailing lists, and all contact is required to be done
through IRC, where the main developer apparently lists a slew of "how to
not get on our bad side" requirements.

The Mate community however seems more open.

But Mint itself is like a hidden enclave where you have to enter IRC and
leave a computer running for 6 hours to *hopefully* be considered worthy
enough for a response.

Sure we have Unity but that won't be for long.

More people have problems with Gnome 3, than don't have problems, I
think.

> Are you sure?
>
> ~$ apt-cache search python | grep -i gtk | wc -l
> 61

Erm.

I could have been bitten by the shell expansion thingy again.

But in this case it wouldn't have helped, there is no meta package for
gtk3 and the required package was not listed.

>> There is no *gobject* package that lists gtk.
>
> ~$ apt-cache search gobject | grep -i gtk | wc -l
> 33

Also not listed here.

And no python-gtk3 package.

There is a python-gtk2 package.

And I don't know how people do it, but the documentation for python
(gobjects) with gtk3 is abysmal. I can't find anything.

C documentation plenty.

But I can't find *anything*.

I need an editor with python bindings I think that can do a form of code
completion.

For instance, there are constants like GTK_SHADOW_IN.

I have no clue where they are located.

Gtk.GTK_SHADOW_IN doesn't work, Gtk.SHADOW_IN doesn't work, and so on.

The gobjects thing turns GTK3 into an object oriented thing, but...

There is no documentation on the objects :p.

Help me out again :p.

What editor can I use that will "code complete" python code?

Currently using Vim.

Kate is no option.

Eclipse is no option.

Emacs is no option.

Sublime is not really an option but it could.

jEdit could if it was not butt ugly.

Anything else?

Any application where I can do "ctrl-space" after the dot (object.) will
do.