my little rant...

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Fri Nov 10 09:12:51 UTC 2017

Just a little rant here.

Why have the KDE people still not managed to link the audio applet to
the audio settings?

Why does KDE come without any keybindings for the Win key?

Why is there no good keyboard with "dead keys" that will make sense?

- the standard one will "eat" all 'n and 's presses, not outputting
anything
- the alternative one will create ń and ś
- why is there not just one that will do é but leave 'n alone, so you
can actually type don't?

I mean wtf, this makes changing from Linux to some other OS very
difficult.

Or vice versa, I mean.

Why do they manage to create applets like the audio applet but if you
click around in it for like 20 seconds, it actually crashes?

Do they ever actually fucking finish what they start? Pardon me there.

How the &*#$ can they manage to create the simplest of user interfaces
and it CRASHES WHEN YOU CLICK AROUND

LibreOffice still crashes in Linux. It never crashes on me in Windows.

How come no one managed in KDE to make a "search as you type" dialog
that actually REGISTERS THE ENTER KEY WHEN YOU PRESS IT

Why does the KDE file save dialog NOT FOCUS THE FILENAME FIELD SO YOU
CAN START TYPING

Why does the KDE file save dialog BUG OUT WHEN YOU TYPE "Documents" to
open the Documents folder, complaining that the file already exists?

Why do other KDE dialogs also focus anything other than the actual
filename field?

How come KDE/Dolphin Samba features often fail to mount the shares?

Why is the "Add Network Share" button a desktop file that the Dolphin
will try to OPEN AS A TEXT FILE INSTEAD OF EXECUTING IT?

I mean I think I can go on for a while.

After plasma 5 was introduced, way too early, in 15.04, 16.04 is a year
after that and this is 16.04.3, not sure if that makes any difference,
but it is so incredibly unfinished.

And most of these things require only the slightest bit of attention.

If you are that programmer that's already doing it.

Just a little bit of attention to detail.

But they don't do it.

Probably running off to the next big thing.

And then you try to start a Python GTK3 tutorial.

$ python test.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "test.py", line 2, in <module>
     gi.require_version('Gtk', '3.0')
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/__init__.py", line 102, in
require_version
     raise ValueError('Namespace %s not available' % namespace)
ValueError: Namespace Gtk not available

Wut?

Can they not provide a useful error message?

Can they not make it easy to start?

Why does the very first step have to get frustrated?

I thought GTK3 and Python were installed on every system.

And then, why does one have to hunt other tutorials on the web to find
out that the package you are missing

is actually the obscure little package called:

           gir1.2-gtk-3.0

What?

  GTK+ is a multi-platform toolkit for creating graphical user
  interfaces. Offering a complete set of widgets, GTK+ is suitable
  for projects ranging from small one-off tools to complete application
  suites.
  .
  This package can be used by other packages using the GIRepository
format to
  generate dynamic bindings.

Where does that say Python? How the fuck am I supposed to find out?

Can't they make ANYTHING easy?

Yes, only Kubuntu doesn't install it, I get it.

I should have installed gedit before...

But all the same, I would never have known.

But there is NO python package that lists "gtk".

There is NO python metapackage that lists gtk.

There is no *gobject* package that lists gtk.

There is just no way to find out.

Except discover a PyGObject tutorial online.

Everything always frustrated...