system freezes

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Thu Nov 9 07:29:20 UTC 2017

Ralf Mardorf schreef op 08-11-2017 21:58:
> On Wed, 08 Nov 2017 18:28:02 +0100, Xen wrote:
>> So thank you for the hint for CMOS, but how can that cause harddisk or
>> KDE failure?
>
> I don't know, I only could take a wild guess.

I still think you are on to something.

My BIOS does weird stuff (shit) all the time, probably also because I
use a mains disconnector to switch off the power now and then.

For example, if I turn it on and it automatically comes on (bios
setting) if I turn it off again quickly after that because I change my
mind,

it won't come on after that.

I have to walk to the computer (which is hard for me)

because the BIOS fails to turn the PC on again.

My USB also got corrupted after I booted Linux for the first time.

On this mainboard.

After reboot in Windows lots of stuff doesn't work.

The score is now like this:

- after reboot from Windows, the SD card I use to boot Linux, is not
recognised by the BIOS

- after reboot from Linux, the 3G stick I use to access the internet is
not recognised by Windows, or doesn't work until I reset it

- after I reboot from Linux, many devices in Windows can keep
malfunctioning (USB)

- many times after a cold boot the BIOS screen won't show the "Press F8
for boot menu" line until I boot into Windows for 1 second and then
press ctrl-alt-del.

There is so much fishy behaviour that I think you are entirely right.

- even after a completely cold boot, after I was in Linux for the first
time,

many cheap USB2 hubs do not function any more, I cannot use a DVD player
(in Windows) on them, in BIOS it works fine and I can boot from it, but
Windows driver functioning is destroyed.

In Linux it often also doesn't work I think. The only reliable way to
use the dvd burner is to use a USB 3 card,

which is annoying because of the distance.

This is an Asus M2N motherboard, M2N-E, it's a horror.

Well, since I booted Linux.

> Btw. the selected settings shown by the BIOS were always ok, there must
> be something under the hood that required clearing the BIOS. I also had
> a mobo with a completely empty battery, that only required to set date
> and time each time the power was turned off, apart from this there were
> no issues at all.

No I think you are correct.