Replace boot drive

Jack McGee jack at greendesk.net
Thu May 25 04:23:16 UTC 2017

On 05/22/2017 12:19 PM, Jack McGee wrote:

> I'm pretty sure I need to run boot-repair to sort all this out, but am
> challenged now getting the computer to boot off CD or USB stick.  I
> think my DVD drive is toast, when the new USB drive arrives, I will give
> that a shot.  Hopefully it can find my cloned Ubuntu and original XP
> partition.  If nothing else, to get back to my cloned Ubuntu
> installation would be great.

It took me awhile, but I got my cloned 16.04 installation onto the new
drive.  The Nouveau driver did not like my Nvidia GT240 card.  Boot
Repair boot disk would crash the screen.  Live install of 16.04 had
problems with screen scrambling, but I could move windows around to
clear it up.  A few times it crashed.  Finally, I got through the
Clonezilla and boot-repair.  But it still left me in emergency mode.  I
ended up commenting out some lines in fstab and got it booting
correctly.  It was not an easy process. I haven't tried yet, but I
believe my XP installation is cloned also.