File system only mounts with gparted

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Wed May 17 21:42:20 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 1:23 AM, Xen <list at xenhideout.nl> wrote:
> MR ZenWiz schreef op 17-05-2017 8:41:
>
>> I just updated my Xubuntu 16.04.2 to the latest kernel et al, and when
>> I rebooted, one of my drives did not mount.  This has happened several
>> times, but this one was a little different.
>>
>> I ran mount on it several times - no effect.
>>
>> I modified /etc/fstab to mount using UUIDs instead of the LABELs I had
>> been using - still no effect.
>>
>> I ran a check on the drive with gparted, and it showed up, mounted as
>> /media/admar/_ttera instead of just /ttera, where it's supposed to be.
>> I umounted it and tried again - no effect.
>>
>> I ran fsck on it and it came back clean, so I used gparted again to
>> mount it, and there it is.
>>
>> Why would that be - mount doe snot work but gparted does?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> MR
>

> So there are no error messages? You generally cannot mount something twice.
>
> If it gets automatically mounted to /media/admar/_ttera you will have to
> undo the automount.

To repeat:

No effect - this includes no error messages, no output of any kind,
and no mount either.

>> I ran a check on the drive with gparted, and it showed up, mounted as
>> /media/admar/_ttera instead of just /ttera, where it's supposed to be.
>> I umounted it and tried again - no effect.
>
> If it gets automatically mounted to /media/admar/_ttera you will have to
> undo the automount.

Why it automounted to the wrong place I don't know, but, as I said, I
unmounted it (from the automount point) and reattempted the 'mount -t
ext4 /dev/sdd1 /ttera', which failed.

What I would like to know is 1) why this happens at all, and 2)
whymount failed, but gparted was able to mount the drive twice, once
as an automount, and once as a proper mount (which happened after I
switched from LABEL= to UUID= in /etc/fstab; probably something
there...).

I'll go back and check the logs when I have time - it was too late
last night for more than frustration and a strong desire to get to
sleep, and I'm pretty swamped at work (that part I do like :-).

MR