Backups - Was: Help, my disk array has one dead member

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Thu Mar 23 12:03:45 UTC 2017

Ralf Mardorf schreef op 23-03-2017 12:06:

> "out-of-band (not local, not to shares) – if you back up to any place
>     that one of your computers can reach, and one of your computers is
>     compromised, all the backups you have stored there are toast. So
>     back up to a place your other systems cannot reach."
>

> I'm doing this. But this has got a limit. Each time I at least need to
> connect one of the backup drives with the computer, so a
> virus, overvoltage etc. could affect at least this backup drive.

It is possible to set up a backup host as a pull host. You can automate
the creation of snapshots on the host you want to backup. After
restarting nfs-kernel-server you will have the new snapshots mounted (if
you do that) and shared (if you do that) as NFS shares to the backup
host. You then restrict access to this backup host (because your system
is actually entirely wide-open) through e.g. VPN and any kind of
authentication (basically you can just use an IP address if it's no
great concern).

Now your backup host has access to the share, but the computer that
shares the data doesn't have access to the backup host. Although you can
reshare the backup read-only through NFS as well.

I have this scheme on a Debian host. Increduly each day my snapshot of
1G for the root filesystem fills up neatly and causes the mount to
disappear :p. That's not supposed to happen, if I really had 1G of logs
each day the filesystem would fill up within days.

Halfway through the day about half of the volume is neatly filled up,
with no indication where that 460MB is coming from ;-). Maybe something
goes wild on /tmp now and then, which is on the volume.

For me still a mistery.

Regardless,

With a PATH issue fixed now hopefully in 15 minutes my long awaited pull
backup will start lol.

> off-site – if
>     your office burns down, you really don’t want all your backups to
>     burn as well. Store them off-site – at home, in a bank vault,
>     wherever – as long as it is safe and a long way away from the
>     originals. Different building is good, different town is better,
>     different continent is best 🙂
>

> Impossible for me! Apart from this I only have one backup drive that is
> 100% ok. I don't have always the money to maintain several backup
> drives. We should eat fresh fruit and vegetables, but at least I don't
> have the money to do this as often, as it should be done. Not everybody
> lives in endless luxury.

Lol if you want to store your less than 275GB backup on my home server
I'm okay with that :p. Can't always promise upkeep (availability) but
generally it should be good :p. Just send your encrypted file to me (I
don't want to store unencrypted stuff) over scp or you could even use
rsync, in 2GB chunks (or less than 4GB in any case, (4GB minus 2 bytes
;-).

Your upload is my download so that would be speedy enough for storage,
just a little slow for retrieval, but hey it is a calamity backup right
:p. Just for you Ralph :p. If you want haha.

Yup, my backup is finally running on schedule :p. Something running from
crontab, suddenly having no path...