Internet Access has been knobbled

Gary Taig taig at melbpc.org.au
Thu Mar 23 07:16:17 UTC 2017

Colin wrote:

As Liam points out it is not getting an ip address from the modem
(assuming that is a DHCP server). I would first try running a
different ethernet cable direct from the PC to the modem and see if it
works then. That will rule out the cables and the switch.

Colin.

There is an Ethernet switch beside the computer which I powered on when ever I needed Internet access. And, every time I start F/Fox or anything that involves the Internet the lights flashing across the switch would clearly identify packet activity.  THERE IS NONE.

I have checked (read REPLACED) the cable between the computer & switch.

If the problem was a cable between there and the router, the switch would still 'flash' with packet activity.

No go.

I think the problem lies with the Auto eth0 file that has been trashed.

GT