Help, my disk array has one dead member

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 15:25:18 UTC 2017

On 22 March 2017 at 15:07, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
> I'm not a dd expert, but...
>
> ...Karl wrote:
>>use the option to skip errors rather than fail on them.
>
> So dd might not necessarily stop on errors.
>
> $ man dd | grep "continue after read errors" -B1
>        noerror
>               continue after read errors

Sure, yes, I did note that, but what if you need to stop it and
restart? No logging or anything.

dd_rescue was designed to replace this _eighteen years ago_ in 1999,
and gddrescue came out to replace dd_rescue with a more flexible
alternative in 2004.

DD hasn't been the tool for this since the end of last century.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lproven at gmail.com