Ot - computer won't boot

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 15:31:41 UTC 2017

On 18 March 2017 at 00:54, Phil <phil_lor at bigpond.com> wrote:
> So, the power supply and disk drive are propably ok which leaves the mother
> board, ram and cpu but how I determine which one is at fault? I'm at least a
> 1000km from civilisation so I cannot speak to service personnel.

Disconnect *EVERYTHING*. All internal drives, keyboards, mouse,
everything. Just power, nothing else. Take out the RAM.

Turn it on. It should beep an error indicating no RAM.

If so, your motherboard has some life in it.

Turn off.

Next, reconnect just the screen and re-fit 1 RAM module. Try again.

Do you see a POST message on the screen? If not, try a different RAM
module until you do.

Once you have got it to self-test, you have something to work from.
Next step is the keyboard *only* and USB key with Ubuntu so you can
run  Memtestx86 from the bootup menu.

If it won't get that far, it's either all your RAM (unlikely unless
you only have 1 module) or it's the M/B, CPU or PSU that have gone.
All those are trickier to troubleshoot and really need spares you can
try.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lproven at gmail.com