Ot - computer won't boot

Phil phil_lor at bigpond.com
Sat Mar 18 05:55:40 UTC 2017

I don't know if this will top-post or not, it's the first time that I've repied to a post with this tablet. Anyway, thank you for your replies
I have more thoroughly tested the power supply and all voltages are present and within spec. There are no beeps from the computer and there is no video so there aren't any fault messages. I have unpluged both the hard drive and the DVD drive just in case. I have connected the computer to the TV hdmi port in case the monitor is faulty. I have not located the reset link for the bios yet. It's a crowded ITX board.
So, it looks like I may need to seek professional help (as some unkind people have suggested). Just how I might do that, because of my remote location, is unclear to me at the moment.
I'm thinking that a replacement laptop might be the best solution.
Sent from Samsung tablet.
Regards,
Phil
-------- Original message --------From: Sarunas Burdulis <sarunas at math.dartmouth.edu> Date: 18/03/2017  1:08 PM  (GMT+10:00) To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com Subject: Re: Ot - computer won't boot
On 2017-03-17 19:54, Phil wrote:
> Thank you for reading this and I know that this a vague  question but
> you may be able to give me a lead.
>
> For the past  couple of days my desktop computer has been very slow to
> begin the boot process, perhaps 5 minutes or so. Now it won't boot all.
>
> The disk activity led blinks at about a 3 second rate, the fans run, and
> speed up once the system warms, and I can measure 5 and 12 volts at the
> disk drive. There is no video from the on-board
> video chip (which is normal until the system boots up) and the system
> won't boot from the cd drive either. I've reseated various connecters
> and the ram board.

Are there any beeps, when powered up? If yes, check motherboard manual
to decode them.

Disconnect all hard drives, CD drives etc. Try booting and see whether
you still get "no bootable device" or alike.

Find the BIOS reset jumper on the motherboard. Reset BIOS.

--
Sarunas Burdulis
math.dartmouth.edu/~sarunas