out of space on /root

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Wed Mar 15 07:18:25 UTC 2017

Little Girl schreef op 15-03-2017 1:20:

> Which may or may not annoy or bother some users, depending on the
> preference they would prefer.

That is taking it very far. In Vim, you have the choice of both, but
because "0" is easier to type for me (takes you to the very first
character position) than "^" (which is often hidden behind a "dead" key
especially (or only) if you have international keyboard) (and the fact
that it is sitting in the middle of the keyboard) --- and which would
take you to the actual first character --- I generally use 0.

So I am accustomed to always going to position "0". That is not my
preference but it doesn't bother me too much because since I always use
Tabs if I do code, moving to the actual first character doesn't take
long.

However to say that moving to the first actual character is going to
annoy a lot of people, is strongly said. The only reason to be at
position 0 is because it is more useful for copying (cutting) lines of
text.

Now in Vim you often do not need to be in that first position for that,
but that is beside the point here :p.

You posit that the jEdit setting may annoy some users, but I think this
is rather hypothetical.

Of course, I guess your point is that the thing should be configurable.
But better have a good default than a bad default.

> And I'm the exact opposite, needing the characters to snug up to the
> edge with no white space unless I put it there. A good text editor
> should make it possible for both of us to be happy with it.

So you're telling me you have a white space of zero? That is hard to
believe.

On the KWrite screenshot there is a whitespace (to the left) of about
half a character, same as many other editors I guess. The difference
being that the KWrite graphical design is so bad (for me).

The vertical space is actually one pixel I believe, not zero.

On the screenshot there is already a gray "band" to the left; I think I
have put it there myself, it would be the line number band or something
like that. Without line numbers it would be sitting directly to the blue
line to the left (just like on the top). At least, it's something like
that.
>> Now as you can see on this older screenshot:
>>
>> http://www.xen.dds.nl/f/i/screenshots/kwrite-snapshot1.png
>>
>> the vertical spacing is actually ZERO pixels. When I edited the
>> margins it was just more agreeable to me:
>>
>> http://www.xen.dds.nl/f/i/screenshots/kwrite-snapshot1_edited-margins.png
>
> Of these two, I prefer the first one. With the second one, I'd
> constantly be wondering if I'd put a space in accidentally.

I wonder what your use case is because ordinarily you would always know
the left edge of the text due to the other text sitting there. You have
a natural border, especially in monospace font, of every other line
you've written, that is always sitting to the left. So I'm really
curious how you can ever wonder about that left edge, unless you are,
like the other person says, writing space-sensitive code like Python
where you are /already indenting/ yourself to no extent ;-).

Basically in that case if most of your text is already indented, of
course you have a whitespace border between the border and your text.
Because most code is in functions and so most code would be indented
already!!!!

And so you *would* have space between the left edge and the text!!!

I guess that could go for more code, but I was talking about ordinary
text; not all text editors are only used for "code", that's the whole
point of a desktop system, to do something else than code software!!!

This is why in general every word processor does have a "page layout" or
space to the left, and no one every complains about it, that I was
previously aware of. But I haven't seen the screenshot from Liam Proven
yet ;-).

I just don't see how you can get confused about the first character of a
line when there is other text sitting directly above and below that will
tell you the first character of the line.

But maybe that's just me...

In the case of KWrite the vertical margin can't be improved because the
graphical rendering is line-based and as such only complete lines can be
added to the magin for some reason, and not individual 'pixels'.

What bugs me not is the default (and bad graphical design of some
editors, in that sense, for me), but the fact that I cannot configure
it, in any of them!!!

Also if you are writing code and most of the code is indented by spaces
or tabs, seeing or not seeing some extra space to the left is not going
to make a difference. You aren't going to be calculating in your mind
"Oh, that doesn't like like 2 exact tabs to me, but 2.1 tabs. There must
be something wrong".

You know. Also, in most editors spaces fall away in tabs (especially in
the beginning) so you _won't_ ever see additional spaces if you use
tabs.

That means spaces can sit there forever and you won't notice (in most
editors). Other than that, there are no editors that are configurable
that I know of, so I don't know how you can say this (neither for you,
and for me, I guess) because it is all hypothetical.

You say "I would be constantly wondering" but what editor have you used
that used spaces?

I mean what editor have you used that had whitespace to the left?

I'm curious, because I'd like to use it (in Linux). :).